2013. május 1., szerda

Guthrie Govan interview - Hangfoglalás magazine 2012/2 cover story








Let's start with your earliest memories about music. When did you picked up the guitar first?

They tell me I was three years old - to be honest, all I really remember about my earliest playing experiences is that my first guitar seemed enormous, so I suppose I must have been pretty young!


Who were your guitar idols when you were young?

Initially, I was heavily into '50s rock 'n' roll - early Elvis, Chuck Berry etc - and I guess I was probably fascinated by the "high energy" aspect of that music. After that, I discovered stuff like The Beatles, Cream and Hendrix through my parents' record collections... and as far back as I can remember I was always a big fan of Zal Cleminson, from the Sensational Alex Harvey Band.



You got your own tone and style, though the impact of Allan Holdsworth, Jeff Beck and Steve Vai can be discovered in it for me. What do you think?

 I'm not aware of a big Holdsworth influence in my playing, actually: he's incredible but I never really tried to emulate what he does. His technique is otherworldly, of course, but even more amazing is the fact that he's invented an entire musical language all of his own: his harmonic concepts and chord vocabulary are totally unique, so to my ears a lot of Allan's style only truly makes sense within the context of his own musical universe... and perhaps that's why I never felt a desire to "steal" any of it ;-)

Hearing Steve Vai certainly was a pivotal moment in my musical development - Steve has expanded the vocabulary of rock guitar in countless ways, and I was particularly inspired by the way he played on the DLR album Eat 'Em And Smile: I thought it was very cool that he managed to convey so much of his quirky musical personality within the constraints of a "normal" rock record!

For some reason I was never really exposed to Jeff Beck's playing when I was younger - I was a lot more aware of Hendrix/Clapton etc - but of course I "got it" immediately when I did finally hear him. (Of all the guitar players from that generation, he seems to me like the only one who is still pushing the boundaries of the instrument even to this day, and still getting better with each release...)


Is it true that you refused Mike Varney, when he offered a record deal for you in the early '90s? What was the reason behind your decision behind that? Most players would have died for a Shrapnel deal back then... ;-)

Yes, it's true - though of course I did consider his offer, and was very flattered by it. Mainly, I think I was just becoming a little disillusioned with the whole "gratuitously virtuosic guitar" scene at that time in my life, and wanted to focus more on the compositional aspects of my music.



In 1993 you won Guitarist Magazine's "Guitarist Of The Year" award. In spite of that you didn't end up in the spotlight, you'd rather countinued teaching guitar at various places. What do you think why? Was it because grunge swept skilled players from the mainstream and there weren't
opportunities at all?

Interesting.... actually, I never had a problem with the emergence of grunge - after all the spandex excesses of the '80s, I think rock actually needed someone like Kurt Cobain to shake things up a little!

Well, teaching can certainly be fun and rewarding but, to be honest, I've always been much more interested in writing, gigging and recording etc, so essentially I ended up working in all of those guitar schools because I wanted to make a living using my ability to play music, and I couldn't see any other way of doing so at that time.

(I've never had a great instinct for business or self-promotion: as you'll remember from one of the earlier questions, I learned music in the same kind of way that I learned to speak English - and probably for similar reasons - so maybe there were some interesting opportunities after I won that contest, but I never noticed them. Who knows?)


Did you enjoy your time as a columnist at Guitar Techniques? (I tell you the truth, those lessons were very useful for me as well!)

Yes - I've always transcribed music anyhow, for personal reasons, so it was nice to find a way of making a living out of something which came naturally to me. The team of Guitar Techniques contributors included quite a few great UK players, and everyone took a pride in doing the job properly... which is always a cool thing.


Which was more challenging, working as a contributing editor at this mag or teaching students at such famous places like GI, Brighton Institute Of Modern Music, Academy Of Contemporary Music, and Thames Valley University?

Well, the teaching stuff occurs in "real time", so you have to be prepared for unusual questions and problems, and to be able to respond to them on the spot. The magazine work required some knowledge of recording and engineering techniques, so I had to adapt to that in order to provide the required audio content for the cover CD... totally different challenges, I guess: I couldn't really say which was more demanding!


I first met with your name on ASIA's Aura record in 2001. How did you get in touch with John Payne and Geoff Downes?

Through teaching at the ACM school in Guildford, where the head of the drum department was Mike Sturgess. Mike had recorded most of the drum tracks for the Aura  album, and when John and Geoff asked him to recommend a session guitar player to help them finish the tracks, he mentioned my name and the guys got in touch.


Am I right Payne was the driving force in the band rather than Downes at that time? What do you think about Aura and Silent Nation?

I think John and Geoff saw their musical partnership as a kind of melodic rock version of Steely Dan, where the two main guys would work together to act as the "driving force" behind the band. As for those albums... I was a session guitarist on Aura and more of a permanent band member by the time of Silent Nation, so there was a different vibe during the recording of each. I must say I do prefer the production on Aura, and I remember being very excited to be featured on tracks alongside guys like Vinnie Colaiuta, Simon Phillips, Elliot Randall etc on that album - but I probably had a little more input on Silent Nation. Very different experiences...



In 2006 Downes left the band, but you guys continued as GPS, later as ASIA FTJP. Was it a difficult time for you guys?

Well, we were actually in the studio, recording Jay's final drum parts for a new Asia album, when Geoff announced his plans to tour with the original members of the band, so… the timing wasn't exactly ideal! On the other hand, the GPS album came out of that experience, and it was certainly a lot of fun to meet and work with Ryo Okumoto - he's a very musical guy, with great sounds and a unique personality - so it wasn't all bad!


Around that time you released your first instrumental stuff called Erotic Cakes, and signed with Jam Track Central. Since then your popularity grows quite fast. How do you see exactly what was the breakthrough moment? Maybe your instructional stuff at JTC?

Actually, I initially released Erotic Cakes through Cornford Records, who played a big part in making the recording happen in terms of funding, etc. The Cornford label started to struggle a few years ago, and for a while my album was "in limbo", until we worked out a way of re-releasing it via the JTC company. It's nice to know that my album is alive again, anyhow ;-)

In terms of a "breakthrough moment", I don't really know. About 6-7 years ago,I remember a lot of people were circulating DVDs of some gigs I played in Tone Merchants (a boutique music store in Anaheim, CA) and then, when YouTube was launched, I suppose a lot of that footage probably ended up being posted on there. Then, those first JTC demo solos certainly seemed to attract a lot of "hits", but I really don't claim to understand how any of that stuff works - as soon as something is posted online, it seems to take on a life of its own, and nobody can really control - or take credit for - the amount of attention it receives. I'm grateful that the online guitar community has expressed an interest in my playing - that's all I really know!


Back to GPS, I've heard that a live DVD is due to be released later this year. Is this band still alive anyway?

I've heard those rumours, too, but I wouldn't take them too seriously! I don't expect GPS to record or tour any time in the near future - it was an interesting band, but keeping it going would require a lot of effort and commitment from four band members who are all busy doing other things... and scattered across the globe. These days, it seems to me that John's main priority is the "Asia featuring John Payne" band, anyhow: JP wrote a lot of material in his Asia days, and I think he wants to preserve that musical legacy…


I strongly think that the Aristocrats' eponymous debut album is the best fusion record in the last couple of years. How do you describe ther style of this unique band?

It's easier to describe what the style isn't, rather than what it is! We didn't want to make the stereotypical "fusion supergroup" album: most of those recordings tend to sound very musically accomplished but somehow sterile, so we wanted to capture more of a raw, "rock" energy. Everyone in the band writes music - for that début album, each of us contributed three songs - so I guess the style of the band is just a big mix of everyone's different influences. Our musical tastes certainly overlap, but they're not exactly the same: Marco and Bryan have a great passion for metal - the heavier the better! - but then again Marco and I are huge Björk fans. I suppose the one thing we all have in common is our fondness for the music of Frank Zappa, which for us represents the perfect balance between playing challenging music and retaining a sense of humor and fun.


How did you get in touch with Bryan and Marco?

It was one of those fortunate accidents, I guess! In January of last year, Bryan was scheduled to perform a 30 minute set at an event called the Bass Bash, in Anaheim CA, which coincided with the annual NAMM show. Originally the lineup was meant to be Bryan, Marco and Greg Howe" but Greg had to cancel at short notice and I believe some people on Facebook suggested to Bryan that it might be worth asking me to fill in! When we did that short gig, we were all aware of a rare kind of musical chemistry within the lineup: naturally we wanted to capture more of this chemistry, so… we started a band ;-)


How did you work out the guitar parts? The record sounds so spontaneous, I only can hear one guitar track at a time in the songs. Am I'm right?

There's one short section in Boing… where you can hear two guitar parts, but apart from that the intention was to capture the sound of a live band in a room, so we kept the instrumentation as sparse as possible. All the guitar solos are totally improvised - though, of course, there are some composed melodic sections in each tune, too. Basically, If you hear a part more than once, it was written: if not, it was improvised!) One of the main thing we're trying to capture with this band is the interplay between the three members, and all that stuff all happens spontaneously.


Believe or not I can hear a little Andy Timmons influence in Sweaty Knockers. Can it be possible?

Not really. I dig Andy's playing a lot - he has that authoritative "touch" whereby every note he plays sounds very musical - but if you hear any similarities between his playing and mine, it's more because we probably have shared influences, and I get the sense that we have the same basic priorities when we play.

Sweaty Knockers is one of Bryan's tunes and, interestingly, he told me that his guitar reference point when he wrote it was actually Mike Landau!


Bad Asteroid is one of your earliest tunes. Why did you decide to re-arrange it?

Well, I had played a simplified version of the tune with Asia, but I realised that I had never recorded a studio version of the whole structure of the song, the way it was when I wrote it 20 or so years ago. I quite like the tune, and I was curious to hear what flavours the wonderful BB/MM rhythm section might add to it!


Furtive Jack has a huge Jeff Beck vibe guitar wise. Do you agree?

I'm honestly not sure - if you hear any Beck in there, it must have happened on a purely subconscious level! I actually wrote that song as the "soundtrack" to the life of an imaginary character called Jack, who likes to steal things and is always sneaking around, on the run, to avoid getting caught. The main vibe of the guitar part was meant to be an electric re-invention of certain folk/gypsy elements - I can imagine that the main melody would work really well on a violin, for instance ;-)



Could you please introduce your studio gear what you used during the recording process - piece by piece? Does your stage equipment differ from it?

Okay... guitars first! I used my early '70s Gibson ES-335 for Get It Like That: everything else on the album was recorded using my Suhr Antique Modern signature guitar, which features a roasted maple neck and a basswood body with a plain maple top. Usually I prefer mahogany guitars, but for the exposed trio format of the Aristocrats, I thought I'd try a guitar with a wider range of frequencies, just to fill up a little more sonic space. (Now, I've grown to like that guitar so much that I use it for pretty much everything!)

I split the guitar signal using an Axess buffer unit, and played through two amps simultaneously: most of what you hear on the album is a Suhr Badger 30 head with a 2x12 open-backed cabinet, but in certain places we mixed in a hint of the other amp (a Custom Audio Electronics PT-100 with a 4x12) to get a slightly more aggressive, "modern" tone.

In terms of pedals, I mainly used a Suhr Koko Boost in front of the Badger, to boost the mids slightly. (For the PT-100, I borrowed a pedal from one of the guys who worked in the studio: I think it was called a Sex Drive, but I really can't remember the name of the company who made it…) In places, you'll hear my AnalogMan chorus or an old Maestro phaser (again, borrowed from the studio, though it was hard to give back at the end of the sessions!) but for the most part I avoided using too many pedals: I wanted to preserve that raw, honest sound…


Which do you prefer and why:

Okay: I'll be brief here - I've probably talked way too much already!

  - Double locking trem or vintage whammy bar?

Locking terms stay in tune better, but they're complicated to maintain and they're usually too sensitive, so… vintage whammy it is. If you stretch the strings properly and lubricate all the contact points, a retro style term can stay in tune pretty well.

  - Humbuckers or single coils?

They're both great, but for different things. Do I have to choose?

  - Thick or thin strings/picks?

I tend to use very thick Red Bear picks: I can have more control that way. In the studio, I might use a thinner pick for a funky strumming part or an acoustic track - the EQ sounds very different, and sometimes that's what you want - but generally I can get through any gig or session with my trusty Red Bear.

For strings, I normally use Rotosound .010-.046: I'd break anything lighter that that, but if I go much heavier than .010s, I seem to lose the dynamic balance between picked and legato notes. (I'll happily use .014s on an arch top jazz guitar, though - it all depends on the situation.)

  - High or low string action?

High enough that the notes sustain properly, low enough that playing doesn't feel too difficult.

  - High or low gain amps?

There are different kinds of high gain: a Dual Rectifier and a Cornford MK50 both have huge amounts of gain, but they feel very different. I prefer the kind of gain which helps notes to sustain and feed back in a musical way, but still manages to preserve the detail in each note: I like it when an amp responds differently to each of the various ways you might hit the strings: you have to "fight" the amp a little more, but it's worth it ;-)

  - British or American amp characteristic?

This probably sounds a bit weird, but I think the UK and US tend to voice amps in a way which reflects the way the people speak in each of those countries: the American style of amp voicing has a slightly more strident type of midrange which reminds me of an American accent. Perhaps that's why I feel more comfortable with a British kind of amp voicing: in some strange way, it sounds more like me!

  - Rack effects or stomp boxes?

I've always been a "pedal" kind of guy…


Last December some of your gear has been stolen in Italy while you were touring there. What happened exactly?

Well, you covered all the main points right there! We stopped off at the Colosseum on our way to the soundcheck for a gig in Rome: we left the van in what seemed like a safe place, but when we returned, the vehicle was totally empty and we had to replace €15000 worth of gear. It sucked!(Of course, the local police did absolutely nothing to help, other than to inform us that incidents like this happen all the time in Rome, so what can you do?)


As far as touring, how is you schedule for this year?

Pretty busy - there are lots of Aristocrats gigs coming up (we're working on another European tour for October-November time, for instance) and a big run of solo clinics in the US this summer. Various other things, too - I won't bore you with all the details! - but in fact one of my main priorities for this year is to make sure I can find the time to write lots of new material. These days, I'm starting to find that I need to book writing time, in the same way that someone with a more conventional job might book a holiday: if I don't make an effort to keep some space in my diary, it simply won't happen! (This is a good problem to have, though - please don't think I'm complaining about the situation, because I'm really not!)


What are your recording plans for the near future? Any chance for a new instrumental album?

I'd very much like to get a new solo album done this year, and we're also working on the logistics of recording the next Aristocrats album ASAP. (We may even release some kind of live DVD from one of our Aristocrats gigs - let's see what happens!)


With so many years teaching under your belt, what advice could you give to young players who want to achieve great tone and technique?

Practice playing things perfectly, rather than just being obsessive about speed. Be aware that most of your tone comes from your fingers, and that you can't always blame your gear if your tone sucks. Work on developing your ear, by transcribing as much as possible and by trying to sing the notes you play (even if you only do so internally: not everyone can be George Benson, but the important thing is the mental process of trying to feel responsible for each note…) Don't rely on other people's tablature for everything you learn. Finally: try to have specific goals - if you know exactly what it is that you're trying to achieve, you're far less likely to waste any valuable time in your practice sessions!

Check out Guthrie at:
the-aristocrats-band.com

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése